December 16, 2007

2004 Scherrer Russian River Valley Pinot Noir


It's been a while since I've drank a Pinot Noir and for the life of me I don't know why it's been so long! Diversity is one of the things I love about wine. It's all fermented grape juice but the contrast between a Cabernet and a Pinot Noir can be so great at times it will make you shake your head in wonder. A few weeks back after tasting Napa Cab after Napa Cab I was DYING for something different so at dinner I ordered a plate of Fettucine and a bottle of a Sangiovese dominated Tuscan blend, something I would not normally do with so much fine dining in wine country. At this particular moment, if I had a glass of Cult Napa Cab in one hand, and the Tuscan in the other, I would have enjoyed the Tuscan by ten fold. Switching up what you drink now and then can be so beneficial to the experience and is something I try to do often. But now I'll probably be drinking nothing but Pinot for the next two weeks.

Scherrer Winery is located in Sebastopol and has been pumping out quality juice since 1991. It is owned by Fred Scherrer, a UC Davis graduate who is also the winemaker. Scherrer offers up bottlings from about 6 different varietals which are Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Vin Gris (Rose). While I don't know a whole lot about the other varietals, I've heard numerous good things about the Pinot. And they weren't wrong. With 800 cases produced, the grapes in this particular bottle are sourced from the Russian River Valley, grown in the sandy Goldridge soils, and said to highlight the regions distinctive 'orange peel' aromas. This wine is a winner at the $35 dollar price point. It's not cheap but it's not outlandish either for a very good bottle of wine. I drank a glass then drank a few more with a nice block of Bes P'tit Basque that had me feeling sad when they both ran out. The earthy, subtle flavors complemented each other nicely.

Tasting Notes:
On the nose, this wine has a great bouquet, beginnning with cinnamon, clove, orange peel and oddly enough, apples. After some time these aromas morph into delicious red fruit heavy on the cherry and strawberry. A wonderful translucent ruby red in the glass, the wine opens up with mouth watering acidity, strawberry and dark cherry moving into a lengthly finish. Well balanced and a fine wine to enjoy young.

Score: 89

Price: $35

Alcohol: 14.5

No comments: